Joint most losses, most goals conceded, 2nd least clean sheets – just three stats that give you an inkling as to why Newcastle fans are so pleased to get shot of Alan Pardew. In October – he had the worst record of any of the last 29 managers to be sacked. Still think NUFC fans are to blame for hating the man?
We have formulated, from experience and why the majority of their fans want the Londoner gone:
1. Excuses: They call it Pardew Excuses Bingo. I have seen him blame everything from the usual “Referee” to the extremes of a 21 year old goal keeper making his 3rd senior start, in a game they lost 4-0. He once blamed the wind. After each defeat, fans would guess what he would come out with this time. Says a lot.
2. Refusal to take blame: Going off the one above, Pardew loves to take the plaudits when Newcastle won, but when they lost, he blamed everyone but himself.
3. Boss’ favourite: There were a select few players that were basically undroppable. Mike Williamson, Yoann Gouffran, and when at the club, Shola Ameobi, were always preferred to those performing better. For example this season the first two were picked over the likes of Remy Cabella, Rolando Aarons and even Steven Taylor (and Mapou Yanga Mbiwa).
4. Out of Position: Pardew was famed for playing people out of position. Often, even with Ben Arfa or Obertan available, you would find Papiss Cisse or Ameobi (Shola) on the right wing. Moussa Sissoko was played there too, and in a deeplying role, where he struggled. Yohan Cabaye once found himself on the left wing, Dummett at Centre Back, Coloccini and Ryan Taylor in central midfield etc. Square pegs, Round holes.
5. Substitutions: Usually took off performing players when chasing a game, and put on defensive players. Also always left on his favourites, and left those likely to make an impact on the bench, or gave them 2 minutes at the end, and then said they needed to do more.
6. Derby Day Issues: Worst record in a Derby of any Newcastle manager since the war. 4 losses in a row, and in his 4 years there he has not won one. When they lost 1-0, he stated fans would be happy as they lost ‘in the right way’.
7. Tactics: in 2011/12, he played 4-3-3, and it served him well. After finishing 5th, he then changed it to 4-2-3-1, a more defensive style. Now fluxes between that and 4-4-2, often lumping the ball up to two small strikers, which never works. One game its free flowing, good passing, counter attacking football. The next, like previously mentioned. Hoofball. Daryl Janmaat also stated recently that they could do with working more on tactics than simply ‘fighting’ for wins. Paints a picture of what training is like!
8. Mr Arrogant: Known in football for his Egotistical nature. Won manager of the month in November, and proceeded to lose the next 4 games. Fans who have had the chance to meet him have commented on this sort of thing. He seems to walk with the swag of Jose Mourinho, when he has achieved as much as John Mousinho…
9. Cup-foolery: In his time Newcastle’s cup record is atrocious. Losses to Brighton and Stevenage stick out like a sore thumb. Bar this seasons’ Quarters appearance vs Tottenham, its mainly been 3rd round defeats.
So, there you have it. Before criticising, just think – if you had that to put up with every game, would you want him sacked? Since they finished 5th, Pardew has the following record:
1. Joint Most losses (45)
2. Most Goals conceded (153)
3. 2nd Worst Goal Difference (-46)
4. 2nd Least Clean Sheets (21)
5. 4th Least Points (113)
6. Failed to Score in 33 games
7. 4th Least Goals (107)
In just 91 games. Some of the blame sits with the players, but they follow what they are trained to do by the manager. Just think what the stats would read like before their 6 games winning streak! Don Hutchinson has come out and said that senior pro’s will not like AP at Palace due to his Ego.
Statistically, he is awful. Weather a different manager can do better, we will see. If Newcastle go for a decent manager, with the likes of Cabella, Sissoko, Janmaat, Krul – who knows what they could achieve. One thing is for certain – after the last 2 and a bit seasons, whoever it is can’t do a lot worse!